Level 6 Diploma in Business ManagementQualification Number: 603/2179/9
The objective of the OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management qualification is to provide learners with an excellent foundation for a career in a range of organisations. It designed to ensure that each learner is ‘business ready’: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of business and management and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
The content of the qualification is focused on leadership and people management, strategic human resource management, operations management, sustainable business practice, financial decision making as well as the business research skills expected of a manager.
The qualification is ideal for those who have started, or are planning to move into, a career in private or public sector business. Successful completion of the Level 6 Diploma in Business Management qualification will provide learners with the opportunity to progress to further study or employment.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management qualification, learners must possess:
- Relevant NQF/QCF/RQF Level 5 diploma or equivalent recognised qualification
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 6 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Bachelor’s Degrees with Honours, Bachelor’s Degrees, Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates.
The OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Leadership and People Management (20 credits): enables learners to understand theories of leadership and management and how to use leadership and management skills to improve motivation and performance. Learners will also analyse team dynamics and its importance in achieving organisational goals.
- Business Research Project (20 credits): develops learners’ research skills, including producing a research question and carrying out independent research using appropriate research techniques. Learners will also analyse research findings, evaluate the research methodology used and present their research findings.
- Operations Management (20 credits): provides learners with an understanding of the production/operations management function in both manufacturing and service industries and to introduce key issues and techniques in operations management.
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits): demonstrates the links between business decision making, risk assessment and financial information. Learners will understand how businesses are financed through their fixed and working capital requirements and how the financial management of each organisation is influenced by its governance and ownership structure.
- Sustainable Business Practices (20 credits): raises learners’ awareness of sustainable development issues and how they impact on the strategic development of businesses. Learners will be expected to demonstrate their understanding of sustainability and its effect on business organisations.
- Strategic Human Resource Management (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of competing and contrasting perspectives of strategic HRM. The unit develops learners’ understanding of how HRM strategies and practices contribute to organisational and employee performance, and the problems and complexities of operationalising an HRM strategy within different types of organisation.
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of Level 6 Diploma in Business Management qualification provides learners the opportunity for a wide range of academic progressions including progression to relevant OTHM Level 7 Diplomas. This qualification has been developed with career progression and professional recognition in mind. As the Level 6 Diploma in Business Management qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to gain direct entry into relevant Master’s degree programmes. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.