Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and FinanceQualification Number: 603/0701/8
The objective of the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance qualification is to provide learners with an understanding of:
- contemporary and specialised approaches to accountancy and finance
- key practical, theoretical and empirical issues, and academic research
- the complexity of the ever-changing legal framework in which the financial sector operates
- the latest developments in accountancy and reporting required by local, national and European government.
This qualification is designed for learners who wish to pursue a career in the financial services industry, professional accountancy, banking and finance or management. The qualification equips learners with the essential skills and knowledge needed to pursue high level careers in all types of organisations in the public and private sector and within industry and commerce, both in the UK and abroad.
The Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance qualification also provides learners with the opportunity to work toward a relevant Master’s programme with advanced standing.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance qualification, learners must possess:
- An honours degree in related subject or UK level 6 diploma or an equivalent overseas qualification
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website.
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 7 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Master’s Degrees, Integrated Master’s Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Postgraduate Certificates.
The OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance qualification consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 600 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Investment Analysis (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of investment theories and market equilibrium models, and includes the requirement to perform bond valuations and evaluate current investment performance. On successful completion of this unit, learners will be equipped with the skills to critically assess the cause and effect of developments on the world’s capital market. Learners will be able to make effective recommendations for future investments.
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Governance (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of corporate social responsibility and governance. Learners will consider the various ways that businesses and financial institutions need to operate to ensure that society accepts their processes and procedures. Learners will understand the importance of acting in such a way that ethical codes and practices are followed and individual dignity is maintained. Learners will understand the skills required to deal appropriately with governing authorities in the private, public and charitable sectors.
- Global Finance and Strategy (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the types of decisions that need to be taken when entering global markets. Learners will gain an understanding of why independence in solving financial issues within a specific period of time is vital for business success.
- Strategic Financial Management (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of planning and managing the use of an organisation’s financial resources. Learners will understand the importance of attaining business objectives and maximizing shareholder return. Learners will gain a working knowledge of business strategy design and the production of comprehensive business plans.
- Strategic Audit (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of how managers can position and execute business strategy appropriately. This will involve an in-depth study of the strategic auditing process and related procedures. Learners will be able to understand and apply suitable investigative techniques to both positive and negative environments.
- Corporate Reporting (20 credits): develops learners’ ability to prepare and interpret financial statements for a range of business organisations. Learners will be able to apply relevant accounting concepts and principles. The unit provides an opportunity for learners to enhance their quantitative and qualitative analytical skills through the interpretation of financial data. Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
The OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance qualification enables learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their further study. As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to progress to Master’s top-up programmes at many universities in the UK and overseas with advanced standing. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.