Level 7 Diploma in Health and Social Care ManagementQualification Number: 601/8177/1
The objective of the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Health and Social Care Management qualification is to develop learners’ understanding of policy, management theory and practice in health and social care. It provides learners with an opportunity to engage with the challenges facing professionals, services users and policy makers in their own country. It will provide knowledge that underpins the ability to work as an effective manager in the hospitals/social care industry. It combines both theoretical and practical knowledge in the health and social care profession. The qualification will develop and enhance knowledge and skills in the areas of leading change, effective performance, planning and accountability, development and team leadership. Learners will be able to work in a variety of roles within health care administration and/or management.
Successful completion of the Level 7 Diploma in Health and Social Care Management qualification enables learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their study towards a relevant Master’s programme with advanced standing.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Health and Social Care Management qualification, learners must possess:
- An honours degree in related subject or UK level 6 diploma or an equivalent overseas qualification
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website.
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 7 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Master’s Degrees, Integrated Master’s Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Postgraduate Certificates.
The OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Health and Social Care Management qualification consists of 8 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 600 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Managing Service Delivery in Health and Social Care (15 credits): provides learners with a thorough understanding of service delivery, including the quality measurement and management of service delivery as it applies to health and social care contexts.
- Managing Finance in the Healthcare Sector (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the key concepts and tools for accounting and finance, including interpreting and making use of financial information that is relevant to the management of health and social care.
- International Health Policy (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of international healthcare policy, including the contemporary, political, social and cultural issues that help to determine healthcare policy applicable to the national and international context.
- Strategic Management in the Healthcare Industry (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the economic, management and operational complexities of healthcare, healthcare providers and practitioners, and to explore the strategic options available.
- Organisational Behaviour in Health and Social Care (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the management of organisational behaviour, and how to apply organisational behaviour theories and concepts of people management to health and social care contexts.
- Human Resource Management (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of human resources planning and procedures, including analysis of the role of Human Resource Management within health and social care organisations. Learners will gain knowledge to underpin management decisions in human resources and how to apply human resource management concepts to retain and motivate staff.
- Strategic Marketing for Health and Social Care (10 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the key concepts and tools of strategic marketing, including how to apply these to health and social care management contexts.
- Research Methods for Healthcare Professionals (20 credits): develop learners’ research skills to include understanding different research approaches, formulation of research proposals, planning research activity, analysing and interpreting data, and the relationship between research and evidence based practice.
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Achieving the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Health and Social Care Management qualification enables learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their further study. As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to progress to Master’s top-up programmes at many universities in the UK and overseas with advanced standing. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.