Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and LeadershipQualification Number: 603/2181/7
The objective of the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership qualification is to develop strategic management and leadership skills for managers who have the authority and personal attributes to translate organisational strategy into effective operational performance. This qualification reflects current practice in Strategic Management and Leadership and allows learners to develop and expand their high-level understanding of strategic management and leadership in the workplace. This qualification is suitable for mature learners with a background in academic study or industry. The qualification has a clear work-related emphasis on practical skills development alongside theoretical fundamentals.
Successful completion of the Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership qualification will equip learners with the key skills and capabilities to become an effective strategic manager. The qualification also allows learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their study towards an MBA with advanced standing.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership qualification, learners must possess:
- An honours degree in related subject or UK level 6 diploma or an equivalent overseas qualification
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website.
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 7 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Master’s Degrees, Integrated Master’s Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) and Postgraduate Certificates. Qualification structure
The OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership consists of 4 mandatory units and 4 optional units, making a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 600 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Professional Development and Communication Skills (10 credits): enables learners to assess and develop their own skills, applying continuous professional development to support their personal and professional goals. Learners will develop professional skills including communication, academic writing, presentation, leadership, use of information technology and preparing curriculum vitae.
- Strategic Management (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of strategic and change management models, as well as the ability to review strategic plans, to propose strategic options, to create implementation plans and to lead organisational changes.
- Strategic Human Resource Management (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of how the effective strategic management of human resources supports the achievement of organisational objectives in different contexts. Learners will evaluate the contribution of strategic human resource management, and the application of leadership and management theory for organisational benefit.
- Advanced Business Research Methods (20 credits): develop learners’ ability to carry out various types of academically based management research through the design of a research proposal. Learners will develop a critical understanding of the philosophical, practical and ethical concepts of research within the context of the business environment.
Optional Units – Choose any Four
- Strategic Financial Management (15 credits): enables learners to apply financial principles relevant to management in an organisational context, including analytical techniques and theories/models of management accounting, evaluation of budgetary processes, recommending funding sources and appraising investment options.
- Supply Chain and Operations Management (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the concepts and models of effective supply chain and operations management in competitive marketplaces using case studies and real-world industry scenarios. Learners will develop an understanding of operational processes, techniques, planning and control systems.
- Enterprise and Entrepreneurship (15 credits): introduces learners to the basics of business processes and strategies related to enterprise and entrepreneurship, developing knowledge of enterprise and entrepreneurship in global contexts.
- Globalisation and Corporate Governance (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the effect of legislation, ethics, and global integration on decisions, corporate governance, policies, processes and activities undertaken by organisations.
- Strategic Change Management (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of classic and contemporary theories of change management and how they apply to contemporary organisations in the globalised world, with the identification and use of change models. Learners will understand the personal characteristics of change agents as well as the evaluation and development of leadership skills to meet current and future change management roles.
- Strategic Marketing (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the concepts, methods and technical aspects of strategic marketing and the challenges associated with marketing in today’s business environment, including how a strategy combines product development, promotion, distribution, pricing, relationship management and other elements.
- Global Marketing Strategy (15 credits): develops learners’ understanding of issues facing contemporary organisations in the globalised world, with the identification and use of global marketing strategies, including issues related to internationalisation. Learners will explore how current developments in innovation and design impact on mass customisation and marketing strategies in organisations. The unit also covers the importance of patenting ideas, design registration, trademarking and intellectual property on new products and services.
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership qualification enables learners to progress into or within employment and/or continue their further study. As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to progress to an MBA top-up with advanced standing. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.