Level 4 Diploma in Business ManagementQualification Number: 603/2174/X
The objective of the OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Business Management qualification is to provide learners with an excellent foundation for building a career in a range of organisations. It designed to ensure each learner is ‘business ready’: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of business and management and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
The content of the qualification is focused on:
- managing business communication
- understanding the business environment and organisations in a global context
- business functions including people management
- quantitative methods in business
- finance for managers
- research and academic writing.
The qualification is ideal for those who have started, or are planning to move into, a career in private or public sector business. Successful completion of the Level 4 Diploma in Business Management qualification will enable learners to progress to further study or employment.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Business Management qualification, learners must possess:
- Relevant NQF/QCF/RQF Level 3 Award/Diploma or at the level of GCE/GCSE or equivalent qualification
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website.
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 4 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Higher National Certificates (HNC) and Year 1 of a three-year UK Bachelor's degree programme.
The OTHM Level 4 Diploma in Business Management consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Research and Academic Writing (20 credits): enables learners to develop effective research plans, to evaluate different research methods, to use a high standard of academic writing, and to use independent learning techniques to support their self-development.
- Business Environment (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the dimensions of the business environment, including various business types and purpose.
Introduction to Business Communication (20 credits): enhances learners’ business communication skills and enable them to operate confidently in the business world. Learners will be able to:
- make persuasive presentations
- negotiate convincingly
- write reports that address and/or solve strategic problems
- write promotional material
- enhance their cultural awareness
- enhance their understanding of cross-cultural communication, and the role of languages in business.
- Introduction to Quantitative Methods (20 credits): reviews the basic concepts in mathematics, algebraic equations, graph construction, matrix algebra and probability that need to be understood by all business learners. The emphasis rests on applying these concepts to a variety of mathematical problems encountered in business contexts.
- Introduction to Business Functions (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of businesses types and various external influences on organisations such as the comparative environmental framework.
- Introduction to Finance (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the current regulations governing financial reporting, as well as the purpose and formats of financial statements for different users.
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of Level 4 Diploma in Business Management provides learners the opportunity for a wide range of academic progressions including OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Business Management. As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to gain direct entry into Year 2 of a three-year UK Bachelor’s degree programmes. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.