Level 5 Diploma in Business ManagementQualification Number: 603/2176/3
The objective of the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Business Management qualification is to provide learners with an excellent foundation for a career in a range of organisations. It designed to ensure that each learner is ‘business ready’: a confident, independent thinker with a detailed knowledge of business and management, and equipped with the skills to adapt rapidly to change.
The content of the qualification is focused on people management, managing projects, marketing, finance for managers, business law, business ethics and social responsibility.
The qualification is ideal for those who have started, or are planning to move into, a career in private or public sector business. Successful completion of the Level 5 Diploma in Business Management qualification will provide learners with the opportunity to progress to further study or employment.
For entry onto the OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Business Management qualification, learners must possess:
- Relevant NQF/QCF/RQF Level 4 Diploma or equivalent
- Mature learners (over 21) with management experience (learners must check with the delivery centre regarding this experience prior to registering for the programme)
- Learner must be 18 years or older at the beginning of the course
- English requirements: If a learner is not from a majority English-speaking country must provide evidence of English language competency. For more information visit English Language Expectations page in this website.
OTHM qualifications at RQF Level 5 represent practical knowledge, skills, capabilities and competences that are assessed in academic terms as being equivalent to Foundation Degrees, Higher National Diploma (HND) and Year 2 of a three-year UK Bachelor's degree.
The OTHM Level 5 Diploma in Business Management consists of 6 mandatory units for a combined total of 120 credits, 1200 hours Total Qualification Time (TQT) and 480 Guided Learning Hours (GLH) for the completed qualification.
- Human Resource Management (20 credits): introduces learners to Human Resource theory and skills that underpin Human Resource Management (HRM) practices through a range of case studies.
- Project Management (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding and skills relating to the project management principles, methodologies, tools and techniques that are used in business.
- Strategic Marketing (20 credits): provides learners with a detailed understanding of the marketing planning process and to apply these principles to a variety of business contexts. The unit also provides a comprehensive understanding of environmental analysis and how this can lead to the development of appropriate objectives and strategies to enhance operational marketing performance.
- Accounting for Managers (20 credits): develops learners’ skills in preparing financial statements for a variety of organisations using a range of techniques, and that comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Business Law (20 credits): develops learners’ understanding of the concepts and principles of UK business law and the ability to apply them to practical situations.
- Business Ethics (20 credits): provides learners with a broad understanding of the roles and requirements for businesses to embed ethics and incorporate social responsibility. It provides learners with an understanding of the issues surrounding corporate social responsibility and ethics from national and international perspectives. Significant emphasis is placed on the role that corporate governance plays in ensuring accountability to the owners and other stakeholders within businesses.
Duration and delivery
The qualification is designed to be delivered over one academic year for full-time study but it is also flexible in its delivery in order to accommodate part-time and distance learning.
The qualification is delivered face-to-face, through lectures, tutorials, seminars, distance, online by approved centres only.
Assessment and verification
All units within this qualification are internally assessed by the centre and externally verified by OTHM. The qualifications are criterion referenced, based on the achievement of all the specified learning outcomes.
To achieve a ‘pass’ for a unit, learners must provide evidence to demonstrate that they have fulfilled all the learning outcomes and meet the standards specified by all assessment criteria. Judgement that the learners have successfully fulfilled the assessment criteria is made by the Assessor.
The Assessor should provide an audit trail showing how the judgement of the learners’ overall achievement has been arrived at.
Successful completion of Level 5 Diploma in Business Management provides learners the opportunity for a wide range of academic progressions including OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Business Management. As this qualification is approved and regulated by Ofqual (Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulation), learners are eligible to gain direct entry into Final year of a three-year UK Bachelor’s degree programme. For more information visit University Progressions page in this website.